Bottle Gourd Lentil Curry recipe is matches for chapathi, rice or roti , a no onion, no garlic recipe. If you cant think of a good reason to include bottle gourd in your daily diet, its numerous health. Bottle Gourd is called as ghiya or lauki in hindi, doodhi in marati.
- lau / lauki / bottle gourd – 1 medium size (cut into medium pieces)
- chana dal – 1 cup
- onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- garlic – 3 big cloves (finely chopped)
- green chili – 2 (finely chopped)
- dry red chili – 1
- mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- dry fenugreek leaves / methi – 2 tsp
- cumin powder – 1 tsp
- coriander powder – 2 tsp
- garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- salt – 2 tsp
- cooking oil – 2 tbsp
- coriander leaves – 1 bunch (finely chopped)
- wash 1 cup chana dal and cook it in pressure cooker with 2 cups water for 2 whistles.
- place a kadai on medium flame and add 2 tbsp oil. once hot, add 1 dry red chili, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds and 2 tsp mustard seeds.
- when the seeds crackle, add chopped onion, garlic, green chili and 2 tsp salt. saute for 3-4 mins.
- add 2 tsp fenugreek leaves (or methi) and saute for 1 min.
- add the cut pieces of lauki (or bottle gourd) and mix well.
- add 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp cumin seeds powder, 2 tsp coriander powder and mix well.
- cover the kadai for 5 mins. open the cover and mix the contents.
- cover the kadai again for 5 more mins. after 5 mins, open the cover and add the cooked chana dal. mix well and cover the kadai for 5 mins.
- open the cover and 1/2 tsp add garam masala and finely chopped coriander leaves, saute for a minute.
- serve with roti, phulka or rice-dal.