Breadfruit (or Potato) and Beef Curry
Breadfruit (or Potato) and Beef Curry is delicious Srilankan non vegetarian dish goes well with Rice, Chapatti and Aapam.
- 1 kg Beef
- 1 Breadfruit (or 4 medium size potatoes)
- 2 inch Ginger piece chopped
- 6 Green chillies slit
- Salt to taste
- 2 Onions sliced
- 4 Garlic bulbs chopped
- 2 Curry leaves sprigs
- 3 medium Tomatoes chopped
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Wash and cut the beef into cubes.
- Transfer it to a pan and add ginger, green chillies and salt.
- Pour enough water to cover the beef and cook till done.
- Meanwhile, peel and wash the breadfruit and cut it into cubes.
- Soak them in water, or else they will turn brown.
- (If you cannot find breadfruit, replace it with 4 medium size potatoes peeled and quartered)
- Boil 2 cups of water in a vessel and add the breadfruit (or potato) to it.
- Close with a lid and cook on medium flame till they are soft and tender.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions, garlic and curry leaves.
- Add the tomatoes and fry till oil separates.
- Now add all the spice powders and saute till aroma comes out.
- Pour the cooked beef along with the water into the pan.
- Also add the cooked bread fruit. Mix well and close with a lid.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes till the gravy is thick.
- Serve hot with rice.