Brinjal Thokku is a delicious side dish for Biriyani famous in South Indian recipe. In Tamilnadu its called Kathirikkai Thokku, Pulli Kathirikkai and so on..
To prepare Brinjal Thokku
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil (gingelly oil)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala / curry masala powder.
- 2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 6-7 small brinjal, chopped
- ½ cup water
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat sesame oil (gingelly oil) in a pressure pan until hot. Add in the fenugreek seeds (vendhayam), mustard seeds, cardamom and cumin seeds. Add in the sliced onions and fry till the onions are soft. Add in the tomatoes and ginger garlic paste. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery. Add in the garam masala / curry masala powder. Add in 2 tablespoon of tamarind paste. Fry for a minute. Add in the chopped brinjal and half a cup of water.
- Cover the pressure pan and cook for two whistles on medium flame. Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to release naturally.
- Take a pan and transfer the brinjal mixture to the pan. Saute for 5-10 minutes to roast and thicken the thokku. When the thokku is thick and oil starts to separate, remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves. Tasty Brinjal Thokku is ready.