Cabbage Methi Pakoda – A deep fried delicious pure vegetarian healthy snack goes good the mint chutny or tomato ketchup !!!
Makes: 12 – 14
- 1 cup (Indian standard measuring cup of 200 ml / 8 oz capacity) cabbage, finely shredded ( use only tender cabbage leaves, remove the thick vein, if any )
- 3 tablespoon chopped methi leaves (uluvayila / fenugreek leaves)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 – 6 tablespoon gram flour ( besan / kadala maavu )
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 pinches asafoetida ( hing )
- 3/4 teaspoon salt ( or to taste )
- 1/2 cup water (100 – 125 ml water)
- 250 ml oil for frying ( 1 – inch from the base of the kadai )
Wash and clean cabbage and methi leaves. Drain out water thoroughly and chop finely.
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together and keep aside for 15 minutes. Batter should be thick in consistency ( do not add more water).
Heat oil in a kadai. Drop teaspoons of the pakoda batter and reduce heat to medium ( 6 – 7 pakodas at a time ). Fry till golden color on both the sides. Drain out from oil and place on paper towels to absorb extra oil.
Serve as an evening snack with tomato sauce / green chutney.
Serves: 2 – 3
- 1 cup ( 200 g ) chopped coriander leaves ( or 150 g coriander leaves and 50 g mint leaves – wash mint and coriander leaves and drain out water thoroughly )
- 3 tablespoon, grated coconut (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ( or to taste )
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar ( or to taste )
- 1/2 – inch piece ginger
Make a thick paste of above ingredients in a mixer with very little water. If you need thick chutney, do not add more water during grinding ( or you can adjust the consistency with 2 – 3 tablespoon water ). Serve with pakodas.