Challas – Onion Salad is popular in Kerala cuisine. Best with veg or non veg cutlets and as a side dish with biryanis. A very easy salad preparation with minimum ingredients.
- 1 big onion (I big size or 2 small size)
- 1 cup / 200 ml water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 small green chilli, remove seeds and chop very fine or cut with kitchen scissor
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Read also Fattoush – Lebanese Salad
- Cut onion into very thin slices and separate each layer.
- Soak sliced onions in 1 cup water for 15 minutes. Squeeze out water (This recipe step is very important to make challas).
- Finally mix onion with vinegar, salt and finely chopped green chilli. Consume after half an hour. Then onion will absorb all the flavors and it will become soft too. Serve with cutlet / biryani …
Read also Pad Thai Chicken Noodles