Dal Tadka is famous Dal side dish recipe in North Indian Restaurants and it goes good with Chapati, Naan and Toti.
- moong dal / green gram – 1 cup
- chana dal – 1 cup
- tomato – 2 (cut in small pieces)
- turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- cumin seeds powder- 2 tsp
- coriander powder – 2 tsp
- garam masala – 1 tsp
- dry red chili – 2 seeded
- green chili – 2 (cut in julienne)
- garlic – 2-3 cloves (finely chopped)
- cumin seeds / jeera – 1 tsp
- fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- hing / asafoetida – 1 pinch
- ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- dry kasoori methi leaves / fenugreek leaves – 1 tbsp
- curry leaves – 8 to 10
- salt – to taste
- cow’s ghee – 2 tbsp
- soak the green gram in hot water for 1 hour.
- add chana dal and soaked green gram in a pressure cooker along with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp turmeic powder and 3 cups water. cook for 2 whistles. after 2 whistles remove the cover by removing the cap of the cover. (do not wait till all the steam releases and the cover opens by itself).
- put a kadai on medium flame and add cow’s ghee. once hot, add the dry red chili, fennel seeds and cumin seeds.
- when the cumin seeds crackle, add green chili, ginger, garlic and curry leaves. saute for a min.
- add the chopped tomato, hing and 1/2 tsp salt. mix intermittently for 5 mins till the tomato becomes mushy.
- add kasoori methi leaves, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds powder, garam masala and saute for 3 mins.
- add the contents of pressure cooker to the kadai and mix well. cover it for 3 mins on low flame.
- dhaba style dal tadka is ready 🙂 serve hot with roti or naan.
* I have added all the spices after adding tomato in order to avoid burning of the spices.