Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups With Herbs and Cheese is an Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Low Saturated Fat Italian recipe. Thin slices of grilled zucchini give this appetizer a delicate air. Rolled up with goat cheese, herbs, and spinach, these sushi-like treats are full of flavor and color.
To prepare Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups With Herbs and Cheese
- 3 small zucchini (about 1/2 pound each), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/16 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces bagged baby spinach (2 cups lightly packed)
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium.
2. Discard the outermost slices of zucchini; brush the rest with oil on both sides. Sprinkle the zucchini slices with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side. You can prepare the zucchini a day ahead and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
3. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, parsley, and lemon juice, mashing together with a fork.
4. Put 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture about 1/2 inch from the end of a zucchini slice. Top with a few spinach leaves and a small (or half of a large) basil leaf. Roll up and place seam side down on a platter. Repeat with remaining zucchini slices. You can make these up to a day in advance; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.