Japanese Curry is quite different from the Indian Curries. It is quite mild compared to Indian Curries but I like both of them. It does taste better when cooked with beef but when you’re short with time, chicken is a good option. It is quick and easy to prepare as I’m using the readymade curry spice cubes (Java Curry Sauce Mix). I usually like to serve this with Curry flavored rice (recipe here) wrapped in an omelet and pour the curry sauce over the egg wrapped rice.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 14 ounces Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast – cut into bite size pieces
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 large clove Garlic – finely chopped
- 1/2 box of Japanese Curry Sauce Mix (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 large Onion – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium Potatoes – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large Carrot – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 Sweet Apple or Asian Pear – peeled and grated
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons Honey (adjust to taste)
- In a bowl, combine chicken pieces with black pepper and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pot over high heat and once hot, add garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chicken and sauté for few minutes until lightly browned. Add about 1 tablespoon worth of Curry Sauce Mix to the pot and stir till dissolved.
- Add onion, potatoes, & carrots and continue cooking for further minute.
- Add 2 cups of water, cover the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and let it simmer covered for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining Curry Sauce Mix and stir well until it is all dissolved.
- Add apple and honey and let simmer over low heat for about 8 minutes until the sauce has thicken and chicken & vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or curry flavored rice.
- To make wrapped omelet, use about 2 large eggs per omelet, season with salt & pepper and 1 teaspoon of milk or cream. Cook just until the egg is set but little wet. Fill rice in middle of omelet, wrap and serve with prepared curry sauce.
- If I’m making Curry Flavored Rice the same day, I keep one cube of Curry Sauce Mix for the rice and use the remaining for Curry Sauce.