Kanchipuram Idli is a very popular South Indian idli seasoned with pepper, cumin seeds etc. I prepare Kanchipuram idli when we are bored with the regular idlis. It has a different taste as it is seasoned with many ingredients like pepper, jeera, ginger etc. It is very delicious and is also very easy to prepare. It can be had for breakfast or for dinner. I had written down this recipe from a magazine long time back. As I was getting many request for this recipe, I decided to share this very popular idli recipe. Today we will learn how to prepare Kanchipuram Idli following this easy recipe.
- Raw Rice – 2 cups
- Whole Urad dal – 1 cup
- Curd – 300 ml
- Dry Ginger/Sukku – 1 inch piece powdered
- Asafoetida – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 1-2 tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Pepper, Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal, Channa dal – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chillies(chopped) – 1 (optional)
- Cashews – 15
- Soak Urad dal and Raw rice separately for 2 hours.
- Wash and completely drain water from rice and dry.
- Grind rice in mixie to rawa like consistency without adding water.
- Wash and grind Urad dal completely like how we grind for idli.
- Mix both adding curd, dry ginger powder, asafoetida, salt and water to idli batter consistency.
- Let it sit overnight for fermentation.
- Next day, do tempering(heat ghee and fry all that is mentioned for tempering) and add to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Grease cups with oil and pour the batter to 3/4 of the cup.
- Steam for 10 minutes. If not cup, just pour it to the idli plates and steam.
- Cool for few minutes.
Kanchipuram idli is ready to serve!