A substantial sauce that will stand up to whole wheat pasta. You can use any color of lentil you like- red, brown or yellow- they all add that extra boost of protein.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 10 oz frozen spinach (or substitute about 2 cups fresh)
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes (look for “no salt added”)
- 2 15-oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz can vegetable or chicken broth (look for “low sodium”)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Read more Pasta with Shrimp, Leek, and Spinach
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker. For extra flavor, you can sauté onions and garlic in olive oil before adding to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta.
Read more Chicken Tetrazzini