Mughlai Chicken is a common member of every North Indian restaurant’s menu.
To prepare Mughlai Chicken
- 500 chicken, clean and cut into pieces ( use boneless chicken for best result )
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onions, grated or finely sliced
- 1 tomato, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tomato puree
- 2 strands of saffron, ( soaked in 1 teaspoon milk ) – ( optional )
- 1 cup ( 100 ml ) water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt ( or to taste )
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream
- 1 extra cream ( to garnish )
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
For Mughlai masala:
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon charoli ( optional )
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashew nuts
- 4 whole red chillies
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1./2 – piece ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds ( jeera )
- 1 – inch piece cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 black cardamoms
Make a smooth paste of above ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and fry onion till oil golden color. Add ground Mughlai masala and lightly fry till fragrant on a low heat for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomato / tomato puree and diluted saffron ( optional ). Fry for a few minutes ( till tomato well blended with Mughlai masala ).
- Then add chicken pieces. Stir to coat chicken with masala. Add salt to taste.
- Pour 1 cup ( 100 ml ) of water. Let it come to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and cook till chicken is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Finally add fresh cream and mix well . Do not heat again. There should be a thick creamy gravy when the chicken is done. Delicious Mughlai Chicken ready.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and extra cream. Serve with Parathas / Naan / Rotis / Pulao ….