Tandoori Chicken is very famous chicken dish in non-veg restaurants in India. It’s a yogurt and spice marinated chicken cooked in a tandoor, a cylindrical clay oven. It is a popular dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. It taste good with mint chutney with curd.
- 1.5 kg chicken (I used mixed chicken parts)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp tandoori masala (They come ready made)
- 0.5 tsp red food coloring
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 3 green chills
- 2 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- Remove skin from chicken pieces, and cut slits into them lengthwise.
- Place chicken in a large bowl while you make the marinade.
- In a food processor, blend all the ingredients, except the food coloring else it might stain your food processor. .
- Pour the blended ingredients in the bowl consisting the tandoori chicken pieces.
- Add the coloring,
- Rub the marinade onto the chicken pieces.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours, or ideally overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill at 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly oil the baking pan/grill.
- Cook chicken for about 30-40 minutes.
- Garnish with onions and lemon wedges.
- Before eating, squeeze the lemon over the chicken pieces.
Tips : If you want the same look and feel of original tandoor grill after 20 minutes remove the chicken pieces from the grill and broil on direct fire (flame) in any stove until black spots seen.