Saravana Bhavan Idly is a special and very famous and my favorite South Indian breakfast. Here is the recipe how to make Saravana Bhavan Idly at home.
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 cup idly rawa
- 2 tbsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 4 dried red chilies
- 3 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 chopped Green chilies
- 1 inch chopped Ginger
- 1 tsp Oil
Saravana Bhavan Idly preparation
- Take the rice, idly rawa, urad dal, chana dal, dry red chilies and curry leaves in a bowl and rinse the the ingredients with water.
- Now add some asafoetida, salt and enough water to soak the lentils for 4 hours.
- After four hours, drain the water and grind the mixture into a smooth batter.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add the cumin, urad dal, asafoetida, green chilies, curry leaves and ginger.
- Cook till the dal is brown and then let the tempering cool down completely.
- Once cool, mix in the tempering with the batter and mix well.
Steam the idly in the idly mould and serve hot with Idly Podi, Sambar and Chutney.