Tirunelveli Halwa is very famous Halwa from Tirunelveli District in Tamilnadu and available at very famous shop Irutukadai in Tirunelveli.
For the Halwa
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 6 tbsp Ghee
- 10 in to 15 Cashew nuts roasted in ghee
- ¼ tsp Cardamom powder
For the Colouring
- 3 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Add the wheat flour to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in 2 cups of water, little by little and mix to form a smooth, dilute batter. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Add the wheat flour.
Stir well on low, the batter will thicken.
- Once the batter seems thicker than before, add a tbsp of ghee and stir.
- Repeat this process until all but two tbsp of the ghee is incorporated. The entire thing should take 12 minutes.
- Add in the sugar, stirring.
- Add the nuts and the cardamom.
- Add the remaining ghee and stir until it seems as though the Halwa is oozing ghee.
- Next, the halwa starts moving away from the sides of the pan- make sure it slides off the spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- For the colouring
In a separate pan, heat the ghee.
Add sugar and stir until the sugar caramelizes.
In a minute, the ghee will turn a good brown.
Pour this to the Halwa and mix well. Delicious Tirunelveli Halwa ready.