Upma Kozhukattai is a famous South Indian breakfast and similar to another dish Upuma which very good with all kind of chutneys.
1 cup, Broken raw rice
2 cups, Water
1 Green chillies finely sliced
1 tsp. Ginger finely chopped
2 tbsp. Coriander leaves chopped
1/2 cup, fresh shredded coconut
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. Oil
1/4 tsp. Mustard seeds,
1/8 tsp. Hing
1 tsp. Channa dal
1 tsp. Urad dal
1 sprig Curry leaves
- Soak the broken raw rice for 10 minutes. Meanwhile finely chop the green chillies, coriander leaves, ginger. Set aside.
- Heat a wok with 1/2 tsp. of oil and do the seasoning with the mustard seeds. Add the urad dal, channa dal once the mustard seeds stop sputters.
- Fry them for few seconds and add in the chopped ginger, hing, green chillies and the curry leaves. Scald well for few seconds. Next add in the water and the required salt. Raise the flame a little and let the water comes to a rolling boil.
- Add the soaked broken rice at this stage and mix well with the water. Cover and cook the mixture until the water is almost absorbed.
- Now add the shredded coconut, coriander leaves and combine well. Switch off the flame. Cover and remove the wok from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Grease your palms with little bit of oil and start forming the kozhukattai in slightly oblong shape. Place them in a greased Idli steamer plate and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with Onion Tomato Chutney(recipe as follows)