This is a simple rice dish that I usually prepare when I cook Japanese Curry (recipe here). It is easy to prepare and taste particularly good when wrapped in an omelet.
Curry Flavored Rice
Serves: 2 to 4
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Butter or Oil
- 1 large Shallot – finely chopped
- 1 large clove Garlic – finely chopped
- 1 cup Rice – rinsed and drained (I use Basmati Rice)
- 1 cube of Japanese Curry Sauce Mix
- 2 cups Water or Stock
- A small pinch of Salt
- Heat a pot over high heat and add butter. Once melted, add shallot & garlic and sauté for few minutes until lightly golden in color.
- Add rice and sauté for about a minute. Add salt, Curry Sauce Mix and stir till dissolved by adding little water if required.
- Add water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover pot with a tight lid and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork, remove from heat and serve.
- If using stock, you might not need to add salt.
- To make wrapped omelet, use about 2 large eggs per omelet, season with salt & pepper and 1 teaspoon of milk or cream. Cook just until the egg is set but little wet. Fill rice in middle of omelet, wrap and serve with prepared curry sauce.