Kadalai curry is a very famous curry,which is always served with Aappam, this curry is prepared in southern parts of Tamil Nadu. Now to the recipe, this is a simple curry with black chana .
- Pearl onions / Small onions – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 4 to 5
- Garlic pods – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek) – 1/4 tsp
- Cooked black Chickpeas/chana – 1 cup
- Pearl onions – 1 cup (chopped)
- Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- Curry leaves – hand full
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Broken urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Chopped cilantro – for garnishing
- Take a pan or kadai. Add little oil and slightly fry the ingredients under “To grind”. Let them cool for a while and grind them well to a paste.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and temper with mustard seeds and urad dal, with curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped small onions and sauté it well. We can sprinkle some salt at this point. Add the turmeric powder now. Give it a quick mix.
Add the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some more salt for the tomatoes to get cooked well. Cover and cook, till the tomatoes turn mushy.
Now add the grinded masalas. Bring the flame to medium, as the curry may sit at the bottom.
Adjust salt to taste. Add some more water to bring it to gravy consistency.
Finally add the boiled chana now. Let it boil for a while and turn it off. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Cover the curry and let it sit for a while on the stove top. This dhum makes the curry oozes out the oil.Notes:
* This curry can be made with white chana. But traditionally, black chana is used .
* We can also add some thick coconut milk at the end for a richer gravy.
* We can add or remove number of red chillies, depending on the spice level.
* Using pearl onions are necessary for the taste. But if you cannot find it, use normal onions.
* Chana has to be 90% cooked, if not it becomes mushy,when we add it to the gravy.
Tags : Easy To Cook Recipes, Indian Food Recipe, Tamilnadu Recipe, Hotel Saravana Bhavan Recipe, How to Cook Step By Step, Easy Dinner Recipes, Vegetarian Recipe, Side dish, Channa masala, Chickpea